Blu-ray

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Blu-ray

Postby eochs on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:11 am

Finally bought a blu-Ray player 6 months after getting a 120hz 1080p 47" LG LCD. Just watched Up and the first Pirates movie, I am damn impressed! Anyone have any suggestions as to discs to buy/rent that look amazing?

Also got new Polk speakers a few months ago. Gonna get a new receiver in April when all the 2010 models get released. I have an 8 year old Onkyo that has served me well, but it is time to get hdmi switching, 7.1 sound, and all the new blu-ray high end audio. Looking to spend about $500 on the receiver. Not much new in the 2010 models, so I may buy a higher end 2009 model on clearance to save some money and get better specs. Probably denon or yamaha, but possibly pioneer or Sony.

Now comes the PITA of reprogramming my harmony remote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Tony Romo is going to take us to Miami." - UTWiz
eochs
Admin/2-time LMFZ WSoP Champ

Re: Blu-ray

Postby UTwiz on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:14 am

I'd go high end 2009. I was in the market for a receiver last year around this time, and spoke to the Messiah of A/V stuff. He said that you have to be careful getting the brand new receivers because there are typically a few kinks that have to be worked out upon the release. Plus, anything from the 2008 or 2009 will have almost identical specs as the 2010 version. I'd suggest looking at the Denon or Yamaha from last year or two. I went with Denon but any big dog will blow your socks off.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby TxAngler on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:03 pm

I have a Yamaha and a Denon. Both are great units, the user interface on the Denon is much easier to use. Over all the Denon is easier to set up and use.
TxAngler
Walk-On
Walk-On

Postby eochs on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:53 pm

Down to the choice between a Denon 1610 and a Yamaha 565... Decided to go to the $300-$400 range after looking at all my options... Not so concerned about the user interface, my Onkyo was an absolute bitch to manage so I am used to it, but good to hear your opinion...
eochs

Postby eochs on Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:29 pm

Well, just found out 2 bad things about Yamaha...

The Yamaha 465/565 has issues with Tivo Series 3 and negotiating a change in the audio (i.e. switching from a DD 5.1 channel to a channel broadcasting in non DD gives a loud audio pop)... Also, if you use any single one of the HDMI inputs on the 565, the optical/coax audio inputs get disabled! I still have a couple of things (including XBOX 360) that use optical, so the Yamaha is out...

I think I have talked myself back into Onkyo... My TX-SR600 has served me faithfully for almost 10 years, and I see no reason to not go with them again... I believe the new TX-SR508 being released this month should do me well... Has HDMI 1.4 inputs (in case I move to 3D tv in a couple of years), and lots of nice features:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR508-7- ... B003BEDQQW

The TX-SR608 moves up to 6 HDMI inputs, 1080p upscaling, THX certification, etc... so for $100 more I future proof myself a bit... 608 it is! Yay! I made a choice finally! (that I will likely change in an hour or so)...

Also, just placed a $70 order on monoprice for a bunch of speaker wire, hdmi cables, network cables, and more... I love that place, have yet to get a bad cable from them and they are soooooooooooo cheap...
eochs

Return to Strange, But True