2009 Tailgate Talk: A Prequel

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

2009 Tailgate Talk: A Prequel

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:46 pm

Okay kids... just got the email from the state letting us know that we can auto-renew the spots without anyone having to sleep on the street corner or line up on the Friday before the first game.

It's gonna be a good fucking season.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Re: 2009 Tailgate Talk: A Prequel

Postby dahorns on Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:09 pm

66 days until 1st tailgate, errr I mean first football game

glad this finally got done. I was getting a little worried. The U was trying to "horn" in on quite a few spaces along MLK, San Jac. and Trinity.
I'm glad TFC told them no gracias and held firm. LHF tried to trade parking garage spaces for parking lot spaces.
dahorns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Bucharest on Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:12 pm

Shit yeah, that's awesome......can't believe we're two months away from football season.

This reminds me, but does anyone know the Tito's situation???

The reason I ask is a buddy of mine is a distributor here in town, and I hit him up for a potential sponsorship, and he's offered to sponsor the tailgate....which would come with the following.

-Case of Dripping Springs Vodka
-Zing Zang Bloody Mary Mix
-Bottles of a tequila whose name completely escapes me right now
-Zing Zang Margartia Mix
-Possibly some wine that he's trying to market more heavily....I have to assume we're a great test market and his target market???

Anyway, I don't want to step on Tito's toes, and Dripping Spring is not only a competitor, but a local one at that....but if that whole deal is up in the air, or not going to happen, then I'll look into solidifying the above deal with Jack. We'd have to hang some Dripping Springs signs and he would bring the typical marketing items to be made available....coozies, wine openers, blah-blah-blah....but that's certainly a fair deal considering what he might be able to provide.

Thoughts???
Last edited by Bucharest on Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:15 pm

Every year I say it is a matter of time before the LF takes those spots.

Good to hear we have at least one more year.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 'Hornbybirth on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:14 am

I hope to make 3-4 this year. Shawna's Thyroid Cancer took some priority last year.

Looking forward to Tech, UCF, Missouri, Colorado. Might be able to do the Stillwater trip too. :-"
"Resident Section Jackass!"

Everyone wants Texas to compromise– understandably– but what are the rest of the schools offering the Longhorns? It’s Texas with the groundbreaking network. It’s Texas with the most to lose.
'Hornbybirth
All Conference
All Conference

Postby 93Horn on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:42 am

Mark is going to be the one with the status on Titos.

1 case even of handles won't get this group through a full season. Damn lushes

What if we split it up unless someone ponies up for two cases of handles? One gets the first three games and the other gets the next three games.

Vicki and Marie have been giving out too much of their personal stash over the last couple of years. We need two handles per game - see lush comment.
Reveille is described on the Texas A&M Web site as "the first lady of Aggieland, is the official mascot of Texas A&M University. She is the highest ranking member of the Corps of Cadets, and she is a Five-Star General."
93Horn
Walk-On
Walk-On

Postby Bucharest on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:59 am

Totally agree re: Vicki and Marie's kindness......let's try and fix that.

With that in mind, this is a good friend of mine, so let me ask it a different way.....how many bottles do you think we would need per game....'caus I'm pretty sure I can swing it? When I wrote "case" up there.....I meant per game, and I was thinking a "case" of liquor is six handles...is that not right? Now that I think about it, that's probably a bit too much....but that's what he mentioned last weekend.

As for the tequila, I remembered....it's 1921 Tequila.....good stuff.

http://www.tequila1921.com/web/index.php/en
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:09 am

This is from Wolfgang on Shaggy:

I got Maker's Mark to sponsor some of our tailgates this year (basically the night games in September and Colorado & Kansas). They will supply signage, giveaway schwag, and a case of bourbon for each game (as a commission, I'll be taking 2 home).

:shock:

I think we're going to have to make room for everyone. Hard to turn down generosity.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 93Horn on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:14 am

I think two handles per tailgate would be great.

I think we should have a Bourbon and Vodka sponsor. I see the issue though with having two vodka sponsors.

The more booze the better especially with this season stellar home schedule.
Reveille is described on the Texas A&M Web site as "the first lady of Aggieland, is the official mascot of Texas A&M University. She is the highest ranking member of the Corps of Cadets, and she is a Five-Star General."
93Horn
Walk-On
Walk-On

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:16 am

Fortunately bourbon and vodka aren't competing. Wolfgang is doing a very good thing!
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:19 am

Yeah, it would be bad to have those competing vodka's, and I don't want to step on anyone's toes.....but it's an option, so I'll wait to hear back from Mark.

That being said, if we get tequila at the tailgates, we pretty much have to get one of these.

Oh man.....cold margaritas during those afternoon tailgates....good times.

And that's excellent news on the Maker's Mark front.....although a bit scary.....I have a certain weakness for Maker's Mark.

#-o
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby VaHornFan on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:49 am

Things appear to be shaping up nicely!!!
VaHornFan
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby UTwiz on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:09 am

Please direct the coroner and police to this thread when they find my lifeless body in the creek on a Sunday morning. But see if you can work it out so that Stacey thinks I passed rescuing babies and puppies from a burning building. Just have Brian throw me in the pit for an hour before shipping me back to Dallas.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby HornMafia on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:17 am

:lol:
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 'Hornbybirth on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:17 pm

:lol:
"Resident Section Jackass!"

Everyone wants Texas to compromise– understandably– but what are the rest of the schools offering the Longhorns? It’s Texas with the groundbreaking network. It’s Texas with the most to lose.
'Hornbybirth
All Conference
All Conference

Postby dahorns on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:40 pm

I'd gladly trade some earl campbells... just sayin', if y'all are overwhelmed, be happy to help out :-)
dahorns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby BarryBnds on Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:46 pm

If you guys go to Stillwater this year please take the advice I gave last time and stay in a hotel in OKC.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby MBK271 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:53 pm

This thread put the biggest smile on my face.

It's going to be a great year.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:41 pm

I'm confused re wolfgangs post. Are qwe tailgating with the shaggy website?
utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby HornMafia on Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:55 pm

No. That post was directed to Drew and I.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby rtapia on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:00 am

I'll gladly take any leftover Tequila or Vodka. We spend a lot of money for both every year. If you're worried about stepping on Tito's toes, your friend is more than welcome to sponsor my tailgate. I'll even kick a few bottles back to you. :-$
rtapia
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby TheDean176 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:29 pm

Here is my contribution to the tailgate this year:

I am bringing my son to his first ever Texas football game and it happens to be on his 7th birthday.
TheDean176
All Conference
All Conference

Postby UTwiz on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:09 pm

Did you inject sugar directly into his veins, or just give him Mountain Dew and Snickers for 72 hours straight? BTW, nice moves.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby TheDean176 on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:50 am

Dude I don't know what happened to him. He was Mr. Unsocialable for most of the party, but then the music turned on and he became a dancing machine for a good hour and a half.
TheDean176
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Markaholic on Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:13 am

In response about Tito. Yes it definitely would be a conflict for him. I'm happy to ask for more product and see what he says, but it's up to ya'll. If your connection with Dripping Springs is a close connection and will be a long-term sponsor then it might be worth the change.

Dropping Tito for Dripping Springs would be an insult to Tito, so if we did it I doubt he would ever sponsor us again. He's really just doing it as a favor to me. He doesn't really care THAT much about the marketing although it allows him a write off.

Since I'm now a 10%'er due to the kiddos, it's up to ya'll.

Let me know how much the Dripping Springs guy is planning on donating if you want me to see if Tito will match it.
Markaholic
All American
All American

Next

Return to Football Talk