Academy Award Nominations

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Academy Award Nominations

Postby AtlLonghorn on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:57 am

Best Picture
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

Actor
Richard Jenkins - The Visitor
Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn - Milk
Brad Pitt - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler

Actress
Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie - Changeling
Melissa Leo - Frozen River
Meryl Streep - Doubt
Kate Winslet - The Reader

Supporting Actor
Josh Brolin - Milk
Robert Downey Jr. - Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
Michael Shannon - Revolutionary Road

Supporting Actress
Amy Adams - Doubt
Penelope Cruz - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis - Doubt
Taraji P. Henson - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler

Director
David Fincher
Ron Howard
Gus Van Sant
Stephen Daldry
Danny Boyle

Original Screenplay
Courtney Hunt - Frozen River
Mike Leigh - Happy-Go-Lucky
Martin - In Bruges
Dustin Lance Black - Milk
Andrew Stanton - WALL•E

Adapted Screenplay
Eric Roth + Robin Swicord - Benjamin Button
John Patrick Shanley - Doubt
Peter Morgan - Frost/Nixon
David Hare - The Reader
Simon Beaufoy - Slumdog Millionaire

Foreign Language
Der Baader Meinhof Komplex
The Class
Departures
Revanche
Waltz with Bashir

Animated
Bolt
Kung Fun Panda
WALL•E
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Re: Academy Award Nominations

Postby Bucharest on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:33 am

The Robert Downey Jr. nomination = greatness

=D>

PLEASE let that happen!!!!
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:38 am

PSH is getting jobbed... he should have been "Actor," not "Supporting Actor."

No Eastwood... that's surprising.

And I still think The Dark Knight is worthy of a "Best Picture" nominee, even if it is about a guy in a bat suit. I could lob worse criticisms of Benjamin Button or The Reader, the former of which is just as gimmicky, and the latter of which is irritating in its implausibility.

If I could make a Robert Frazier circa 2003 comment here... my feelings toward 2008 have mostly been that there are a lot of good to really good films, but none that I would call great... except maybe The Dark Knight. It had it all... including the element of grandeur that has elevated films like Titanic in the past.

Ugh... I'm annoyed.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:48 am

Yeah, there was talk in recent days that since it picked up Best Picture noms from the Directors, Producers and Writers guilds The Dark Knight might sneak into the Best Picture category since Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, Milk and Slumdog were considered shoo-ins. I intend to see it this weekend, but from what I've read The Reader is typical oscar pandering bullshit so that's kind of lame. Rourke was a shoo-in, but I was happy to see Marissa Tomei get a nomination too and thought Downey was deserving for Tropic Thunder as well. I think I'll take in the reader and ben button this weekend.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:51 am

It took some balls to nominate Downey Jr., so I give the Academy credit for that.....but the more I thought about it, it just pissed me off more that John Goodman got hosed when he didn't receive a nomination for his epic portrayal of Walter Sobchak.....possibly the greatest character in a comedy we've seen.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:56 am

I agree with Drew. In fact, I would argue that if 2-3 minor scenes were taken out of TDK (Batman flying from one skyscraper to another, cut down the number of times we see Two-Face's CGI portion of his face, replace Magie G with an actress that could sell being hot and involved in a love triangle with two of the most eligible bachelors in the fake world), it should finish in at least the top 3 for best picture.

I also agree that RD,J deserved a nomination, especially given what an awful script he was dealing with. To me, Tropic Thunder was Downey, Jr, Tom Cruise, and an hour and a half of white noise - which shows how good the two of them were.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby HornMafia on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:57 am

Since Ledger is most likely a shoo-in to win Best Supporting Actor, the Academy probably didn't like the chances of a "movie about a guy in a bat suit" winning two of the 6 major awards.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby U2-Horn on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:59 am

I'm with the Academy...I just didn't think Dark Knight was all that great.
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:03 am

U2-Horn wrote:I'm with the Academy...I just didn't think Dark Knight was all that great.

The opinions of many well-established film critics disagree.

HornMafia wrote:Since Ledger is most likely a shoo-in to win Best Supporting Actor, the Academy probably didn't like the chances of a "movie about a guy in a bat suit" winning two of the 6 major awards.

Yeah, I can see this. But for it not to even be nominated irks me.

AtlLonghorn wrote:I intend to see it this weekend, but from what I've read The Reader is typical oscar pandering bullshit so that's kind of lame.

Kate is great, as always. The story is asinine. If it didn't have a connection to the Holocaust then it probably wouldn't have merited inclusion at all.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:41 am

Time to re-visit this (just the main six)...

Best Picture
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

Prediction: Slumdog Millionaire

I don't know if I thought it was the best, but it's gotten the most hype, and it really is a great film. I'm still peeved that The dark Knight didn't land a nomination, as I felt it was much, much better than either Button or The Reader, the former of which I actually did like a lot. Revolutionary Road and Doubt both could have been nominated, in my opinion, too. Overall I'd call it a great year for very good movies, and I'm interested to see how some of these titles are regarded a decade from now.

Actor
Sean Penn - Milk

Prediction: Rourke

This is almost certainly a slam dunk, but again I think a strong case could be made for Langella or Penn, both of whom were very, very good. Pitt wasn't bad, but like Jaime Foxx in Ray, I think he benefitted from the unusual circumstances of the role more than he stood out for just his overall performance. I never saw The Visitor.

Actress
Meryl Streep - Doubt

Prediction: Winslet

I'm pulling this one out of you-know-where, as nothing in this category stands out as an obvious choice. Hathaway was the best part of Rachel Getting Married, and I could see her winning. Streep was better in Doubt, I thought, than she was in The Devil Wears Prada, but will she get it twice in a three or four year span? Jolie was Jolie - I didn't thin there was anything special about the performance. And I didn't see Frozen River (nor does Melissa Leo strike me as someone whose work I know). So that leaves Kate, who seems to get nominated every year, yet never wins. I maintain that she was twice as good in Revolutionary Road as she was in this film -- or maybe I just say that because I think it was twice as good a film -- and as I obviously have a bias toward her I'm likely going to be wrong.

Supporting Actor
Josh Brolin - Milk

Prediction: Ledger

Michael Shannon pulls out one of those "nominated despite five minutes of screen time" nominations. Meh. Everyone else was really good (Brolin) to great (Hoffman), but of course Ledger has this one sewn up. I halfway expect to see someone accept on his behalf and Ledger to emerge halfway through the speech in full Joker get-up, cackling about the elaborate ruse he pulled on the public, as he announces pre-production on Batman 3.

Supporting Actress
Amy Adams - Doubt
Viola Davis - Doubt

Prediction: Henson

I love Amy Adams, and I loved seeing Tomei's cans, and Cruz was hot in Barcelona (thought not as good, I didn't think as Scarlett Johansson or that other brunette chick that was oddly appealing in Barcelona, but flat-out stunning in Frost/Nixon), but... this is one of those categories that often surprises. I flipped a coin and chose Henson over Davis, who was probably better.

Director
David Fincher - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Ron Howard - Frost/Nixon
Gus Van Sant - Milk
Stephen Daldry - The Reader
Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire

Prediction: Boyle

The vision Boyle brought to this film is what made it great. I don't think this one is close.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:19 am

Best Picture
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

Prediction: Slumdog Millionaire
should win: The Dark Knight
It won some of the other best picture awards at other shows that seem to indicate it will win. Interestingly, The Dark Knight is the first since Fantasia in the 1940s to be the top grossing movie of the decade (doubt something will pass it this year) and NOT be nominated for best picture.

Actor
Sean Penn - Milk

Prediction: Rourke
Should winRourke or Langella

Rourke Deserves it by a mile over Penn who is his chief competition. I'd honestly not be surprised if it goes to Penn.

Actress
Meryl Streep - Doubt

Prediction: Winslet

I'm going to see the Reader this weekend probably, but I think this is a combo win for this performance and Revolutionary Road.

Supporting Actor
Josh Brolin - Milk

Prediction: Ledger

Ledger's performance was so good he's a shoo-in in a very strong category. For those who wonder, his Oscar will be kept by Michelle Williams in a trust fund type thing for their daughter Matilda until she is 18. Posthumous Oscars go to the spouse and if there is no spouse the oldest child.

Supporting Actress
Amy Adams - Doubt
Viola Davis - Doubt

Prediction: Cruz

I've only seen The Wrestler. Marissa Tomei has gotten hotter as she's gotten older I think. And we get to see her mostly naked without having to see Phillip Seymore Hoffman boning the shit out of her like in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead which is a MAJOR plus.

Director
David Fincher - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Ron Howard - Frost/Nixon
Gus Van Sant - Milk
Stephen Daldry - The Reader
Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire

Prediction: Boyle

I liked Frost/Nixon more, but Slumdog was more of an achievement to make, even if I'm not sure it's a better film.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:55 am

I got 5 out of 6, and mentioned that I thought Penn could easily win. It just goes to show how predictably boring the major awards seem to have become.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:00 am

Oh, and if you want to know why Rourke didn't win best actor, it's probably because Academy voters were terrified a speech like this would happen...

NSFW Language
[youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og3tN7P6oKI[/youtube]
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:16 am

According to the resident Hollywood insider who posts on OBs, it had little to do with Mickey and everything to do with Hollywood wanting to shove it to Prop 8 opponents.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby HornMafia on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:19 am

They should have just had Harvey Milk boning a cowboy in a tent and could have gotten best picture for it, too.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby tamut98 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:31 am

We taped the oscars and watched Amazing Race, Big Love and East Bound and Down. Fast forwarded through alll the mundane crap. Got to the Best Actor award...I was yelling "Anyone but Sean Penn Anyone but Sean Penn..." F*CK! What a bloated self egrandizing POS. F'er has a lot of nerve talking about hate after polishing the knobs of Chavez and Castro.

Did the BCS do the Best Actor Vote???

Sean Penn = OU
Mickey Rourke = Texas
WuhPOW!
tamut98
All Conference
All Conference

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:29 pm

UTwiz wrote:According to the resident Hollywood insider who posts on OBs, it had little to do with Mickey and everything to do with Hollywood wanting to shove it to Prop 8 opponents.

Mickey Rourke #1 in BCS?
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Return to Strange, But True