Boys Will Be Boys

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

Boys Will Be Boys

Postby HornMafia on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:20 pm

September 16

In similar fashion to his New York Times bestseller The Bad Guys Won!, about the 1986 New York Mets, in Boys Will Be Boys, award-winning writer Jeff Pearlman chronicles the outrageous antics and dazzling talent of a team fueled by ego, sex, drugs—and unrivaled greatness. Rising from the ashes of a 1–15 season in 1989 to capture three Super Bowl trophies in four years, the Dallas Cowboys were guided by a swashbuckling, skirt-chasing, power-hungry owner, Jerry Jones, and his two eccentric, hard-living coaches, Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer. Together the three built a juggernaut that America loved and loathed.

But for a team that was so dominant on Sundays, the Cowboys were often a dysfunctional circus the rest of the week. Irvin, nicknamed "The Playmaker," battled dual addictions to drugs and women. Charles Haley, the defensive colossus, presided over the team's infamous "White House," where the parties lasted late into the night and a steady stream of long-legged groupies came and went. And then there were Smith and Sanders, whose Texas-sized egos were eclipsed only by their record-breaking on-field perfomances.

With an unforgettable cast of characters and a narrative as hard-hitting and fast-paced as the team itself, Boys Will Be Boys immortalizes the most beloved—and despised—dynasty in NFL history.

This looks pretty freaking good.

Some good tidbits
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby BarryBnds on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:29 pm

The book on the Mets is a great read. I'm sure the Cowboys will be just as good.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby AtlLonghorn on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:33 pm

Haley would stroll up to an unsuspecting (49er) teammate, whip out his phallus, and repeatedly stroke it in his face. Players initially laughed it off…

But Haley refused to stop. He would jerk off in the locker room, in the trainer’s room. He’d wrap his hand around his penis, turn toward a Joe Montana or John Taylor, and bellow, ‘You know you wanna suck this!’

”Charles used to beat off in meetings while talking graphically about other players’ wives. It got to the point of ejaculation.”
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:37 pm

Once, during a game, Newton was blocking an opposing pass rusher when a Snickers bar popped out of his uniform. “I was like, “Did a damn candy bar just fly from Nate’s body or am I imagining things?” says Larry Brown.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:39 pm

Given the history of Cowboy players hiding things in their pants and given Big Nate's history, I guess he's lucky it was only a candy bar.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:48 pm

AtlLonghorn wrote:
Jeremy would stroll up to an unsuspecting (LMFZ) tailgater, whip out his phallus, and repeatedly stroke it in his face. Matt and Drew initially laughed it off…

But Jeremy refused to stop. He would jerk off in the port-o-can, underneath the food tent. He’d wrap his hand around his penis, turn toward Chay or Eric, and bellow, ‘You know you wanna suck this!’

”Jeremy used to beat off near the tip jar while talking graphically about other tailgaters’ fruity pina colada drinks. It got to the point of ejaculation, where do you think he got the name UTWiz?”

Fixed your post.
Last edited by Bucharest on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:51 pm

:lol:
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:54 pm

:lol:
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby BevoisaSoxFan on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:56 pm

I never felt as dirty in my life as when I had finished reading the Motley Crue biography.

This might top that.
BevoisaSoxFan
All American
All American

Postby Markaholic on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:04 pm

Can you say Neosinefrin?...uh I mean cocaine?
Markaholic
All American
All American

Re: Boys Will Be Boys

Postby U2-Horn on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:30 pm

I read this on the plane to Mexico. I thought it was pretty bad--Pearlman's writing style is really annoying. A couple of folks here could do much better.
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Re: Boys Will Be Boys

Postby UTwiz on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:57 pm

Will probably finish this book this weekend. I started this a couple weeks ago directly after reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, so the writing style (yuck) indeed sticks out. However, I have been fascinated by the stories that have come directly from players/coaches.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Return to Football Talk