Lord, give me strength

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

Lord, give me strength

Postby UTwiz on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:19 pm

I've counted 9 lay ups missed in 24 minutes. And just to qualify that, most teams don't get 9 lay ups attempts in a 2 game period, and if they do, they probably go 8/9.

Frustration, thy name is Texas basketball.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Re: Lord, give me strength

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:03 pm

Yeah. This team can be painful to watch, especially when combined with the craptastic picture quality of ESPN+.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Simon Honeybone on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:50 pm

There are times that being out of market can be beneficial tonight was one of those nights.
I fart in the B_S & Big XII's general direction
Simon Honeybone
All Conference
All Conference

Postby HornMafia on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:59 pm

I watched Burn After Reading instead.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:16 pm

Whatever.......any time you can get a road win over the 2005 National Champions, you've gotta' be happy with the win.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:03 am

I watched The Wire.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:25 am

I played tetris on FB. I dominate that btw.
utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby UTwiz on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:15 am

HornMafia wrote:I watched Burn After Reading instead.

Then you had a worse night than I did, and I did my taxes and lit myself on fire after the game.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby OKC Longhorn on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:43 am

Matt, did you like that movie? I loved it!

Drew, how is The Wire going?
OKC Longhorn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:46 am

Yeah, I enjoyed it.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby HornMafia on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:59 pm

Sigh.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:41 pm

Gutless.

This team is the Burn After Reading of basketball teams.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby HornMafia on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:04 pm

I'm not sure that we have to worry about making plans after the first Thursday/Friday of the tournament.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:39 pm

What the fuck was that??????
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Seriously, you could have put me, Jeremy, Chay, Kevin and Drew on the court for that last minute and it wouldn't have gone any worse.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:48 pm

When did the Mavs become the Horns and the Horns become the Mavs?

Seriously, it's probably for the best if I just head off to bed and not get into tonight's game.

I'm being as serious as a heart attack when I say this - can something PLEASE go right for a team that I cheer for? Please God? I'm at the end of my rope.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby edsfopmfolm on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:57 pm

HornMafia wrote:I'm not sure that we have to worry about making plans FOR the first Thursday/Friday of the tournament.

FIFY

I have been DVR'ing games for years, but this is officially the first team to earn full-fledged fast-forward status.

Is it to to early to use the word bubble around here?
edsfopmfolm
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby HornMafia on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:28 am

Believe me, I had that thought too. But I think this team will get around an 8 or 9 seed.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:32 am

F Barnes for having Connor in during crutch time. I'm sure he will be a coach on our team like all the other crappy players before him, so he should start that bench time sooner.
utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby AtlLonghorn on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:44 am

I haven't been watching them. I don't get a lot of the regional games and I've just been busy or not around or just not that interested in the team because I thought they were going to be underwhelming. If it makes me a bad fan so be it. The numbers are pretty telling:

Texas' offensive efficiency rating is 80th in the nation. Very rarely have Rick Barnes' teams been lower than 30. The offensive efficiency rankings are based on four factors:

Effective field goal percentage (eFG%): Computed from (FGM + 0.5*3PM)/FGA. This differs from conventional field goal percentage by taking into account the extra value of a made 3-pointer.
Turnover percentage: Turnovers divided by possessions
Offensive rebounding percentage: Computed from OR/(OR + DR). The value in the defensive column can be thought of as offensive rebounding percentage allowed.
Free throw rate: This is now FTA/FGA for both the offensive and defensive values.

Texas ranks horribly in Effective FG pct (229th out of 344) and mediocre in free throw rate (124th). Free throw rate just measures how often they get to the line versus the number of FGs they attempt so it doesn't even take into account that they are 263rd in the nation in FT percentage. So why is the efficiency rating 80th?

Rebounding and turnovers. This team is one of the best rebounding teams in the conference. That is a plus. They also don't turn over the ball much compared to the rest of the teams in the nation which is good...sort of. I say sort of because they don't distribute the ball hardly at all. They only register assists on half their shots which ranks them in the 249th in the nation. They also can't hit threes, but then again they don't take many besides so Abrams.

So after all that it just sounds like it's a team that stands around, dribbles, has no set offense and either puts up bad shots or tries to get to the rim and get fouled. That's an ok strategy if you can hit free throws, but this team can't.

I don't expect this team to get blown out in the tournament because they play good enough defense most nights, but I don't expect them to make it out of the first weekend either.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:06 am

No field general (point guard) on offense and no leadership on the court. I can't think of one of these guys that has tried to step up as a leader/identity for this team to rally around. It really looks like neighborhood street ball with guys trying to individually do what they want on offense and little to no cohesion. Damn frustrating.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby Markaholic on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:00 pm

Didn't help that JMason sprained his ankle in the last few minutes. Also, what point does AJ serve when he's not getting an open shot? We need JMason to take a few 3's. Without that threat the defending guards are just laying back and defending the drive. Atchley has reverted to his '06/'07 ability. Not sure what Chapman is doing out there except missing layups and getting in the way on offensive drives to the hoop.

This is an UGLY team to watch.

I too have DVR'ed and FFWD on 1 through most of the game. Too hard to watch.
Markaholic
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:09 pm

Bubble team.

Way to rush the court when you beat a team that is now .500 in conference, Nebraska fans.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Simon Honeybone on Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:58 pm

I don't think that we are a bubble team yet but we are quickly headed that direction if we don't figure out our heads from our asses.
I fart in the B_S & Big XII's general direction
Simon Honeybone
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Music City Mafia on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:40 am

Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Next

Return to LFZ Memorial Sports Talk