Watching JFK

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Watching JFK

Postby Drew Corleone on Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:14 pm

Everytime I watch this movie I get creeped out by all the conspiracy stuff... like I'm going to get popped for knowing too much or something.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby howieman on Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:49 am

Mel Gibson and Julia Roberts were on tonight in Conspiracy Theory....good movie
Poker is equal parts skill and luck.

When I win, it’s a game of skill. When my opponent wins, it’s a game of luck.
howieman
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:40 pm

That just speaks to how effective that film is.

I believe all of that shit, and will never be convinced otherwise.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Mr. Peabody on Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:25 pm

Makaveli wrote:That just speaks to how effective that film is.

I believe all of that shit, and will never be convinced otherwise.

I saw that movie for the very first time about 6 or 7 months ago.

I thought the samething. They convinced me.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:28 pm

I don't believe a thing by Oliver Stone, but the man can shoot some damn entertaining, persuasive (if not highly exaggerated) movies.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:30 pm

Not sure I believe everything in that film. I'm persuaded by some elements of the conspiracy, but I think Stone plays liberally with a lot of his theories.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Music City Mafia on Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:35 pm

He definitely does, but he can be damn persuasive in his filmaking.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:10 pm

It's a great film.

I watched a movie with Parker Posey in it last night where she thinks she is Jackie O and has an affair with her twin brother. A dark comedy.

A pretty good movie but disturbing.

It's called The House of Yes, from 1997 or thereabouts.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby howieman on Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:52 am

oh come on who believes Lee Harvey acted alone
Poker is equal parts skill and luck.

When I win, it’s a game of skill. When my opponent wins, it’s a game of luck.
howieman
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:32 am

I don't think it's impossible for him to have done it alone. Improbale, yeah.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby ck_hook_em on Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:07 am

Have any of y'all seen The Men Who Killed Kennedy? I've seen most of it, and I really don't see how there is any way that it could have been done by Lee Harvey alone. Some of their theories are tin-foil hat type stuff, but most of it holds up. I recommend it if you are interested in the JFK assasination.

Link
ck_hook_em
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:12 am

Yeah, I watched that the first time when I was around 10 or so.

I've read recently, however, that they're conclusions and investigations are very suspect, to say the least.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Music City Mafia on Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:14 am

I believe Oswald did it. I think it's more probable for one person to get lucky on a shot and pull it off than for the complex, coordinated actions of several/many to be pulled off without a hitch.

Sort of a Hakim's razor deal, imho.
Last edited by Music City Mafia on Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby eochs on Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:20 am

Discovery showed a 2 hour documentary a couple of nights ago proving how the bullet was not a magic bullet using forensic testing...
"Tony Romo is going to take us to Miami." - UTWiz
eochs
Admin/2-time LMFZ WSoP Champ

Postby ck_hook_em on Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:27 am

Meaning there was more than one shooter or that the "magic bullet" was actually only one bullet?
ck_hook_em
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby eochs on Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:45 am

that the magic bullet was in fact one bullet... keep an eye out for Discovery to replay

Kennedy III - Magic Bullet
"Tony Romo is going to take us to Miami." - UTWiz
eochs

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:19 pm

I interviewed a guy who wrote a book on the assasination once. He said the bullet went thru a tree and it caused the bullet to flip end over end, and the back of the bullet actually hit first, then shattered, causing the multiple wounds.
utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Phil Elliott on Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:53 pm

oh come on who believes Lee Harvey acted alone

I do.
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." - Alexis de Tocqueville
Phil Elliott
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:18 pm

I don't think the LHO side gets as much attention... partly because our society is so distrusting, particularly of the government, that it gravitates toward conspiracy as the most likely truth.

But... new "evidence" constantly turns up about the JFK assassination. There are a lot of scholars/experts/researchers that produce results giving credence to the Oswald side. It's just overshadowed by the conspiracy camp.

We're never going to know the whole truth, I don't think.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby HornMafia on Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:36 pm

Yeah, I've always been a conspiracy buff, but I must say that information from Gerald Posner and that ABC documentary from last year really puts a blanket on that stuff.

But still, when you are standing in that sixth floor window, right beside the sniper's nest and you see that you have a clear shot coming up Houston Street (not the closer), and instead you decide to wait to shoot from behind at a winding road with trees?
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Phil Elliott on Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:54 am

But still, when you are standing in that sixth floor window, right beside the sniper's nest and you see that you have a clear shot coming up Houston Street (not the closer), and instead you decide to wait to shoot from behind at a winding road with trees?

What makes you think he decided on purpose to wait for that shot? Maybe when he had the better shot, he sneezed. Or heard a noise and thought someone was coming. Or forgot to load the gun. Or whatever. Not EVERY aspect of the whole ordeal was planned out and/or executed according to plan.
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." - Alexis de Tocqueville
Phil Elliott
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:05 am

Phil Elliott wrote:What makes you think he decided on purpose to wait for that shot? Maybe when he had the better shot, he sneezed. Or heard a noise and thought someone was coming. Or forgot to load the gun. Or whatever. Not EVERY aspect of the whole ordeal was planned out and/or executed according to plan.

Hmmm... that's an interesting thought.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby HornMafia on Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:25 pm

Phil Elliott wrote:What makes you think he decided on purpose to wait for that shot? Maybe when he had the better shot, he sneezed. Or heard a noise and thought someone was coming. Or forgot to load the gun. Or whatever. Not EVERY aspect of the whole ordeal was planned out and/or executed according to plan.

Because when you have one shot to kill the President, are you going to fuck it up?
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Phil Elliott on Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:39 am

Because when you have one shot to kill the President, are you going to fuck it up?

I don't think I understand. By your own admission, he had more than one shot at the deal, because he took the less desirable one. Who can say why? All I am saying is that may not have been his desired shot, but it was what he could get due to outside influences. To think that he absolutely CHOSE the less-desirable shot ignores an awful lot and is the kind of exclusionary thinking that drives conspiracy theories.
Phil Elliott
All Conference
All Conference

Postby HornMafia on Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:47 am

Okay, let me put it this way...

You have one opportunity to kill the President. Why let "outside influences" get in the way of that? You're going to make sure your gun is ready about 20 times and you are sure as hell not going to let a sneeze keep you from killing the President.

If that happened, then his killing of Kennedy was one of the luckiest circumstances of all time.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Next

Return to Strange, But True