Does our generation have any timeless artists?

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:03 pm

I spent the better part of this afternoon on youtube watching the stones, beatles, Elton John, aerosmith and Billy Joel. Most of that stuff was recording in the 70s and is still good today. Our kids will probably jam out to it.
Then I started thinking about the stuff we grew up with and if it will stand the test of time, or if the artists can continue selling out stadiums across generations. I don't think we have much. Dave matthews and Coldplay music maybe, but not new touring albums. Garth Brooks too, but that's about it? PJ is my favorite band of all time, but even I hate the last few records, no way my kids will ever like anything they put out..
utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Re: Does our generation have any timeless artists?

Postby U2-Horn on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:36 pm

do U2 and Radiohead count? :-"
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby MBK271 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:54 pm

Dude... yes, we do. That's easy.

U2, George Strait, Michael Jackson, Madonna

Those are some of the greatest of all time from their resepective genres.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby MBK271 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:57 pm

By the way, I think I've had this conversation with a few of you before.

Greatest bands of all time (in my mind) -

No particular order: Beatles, Rolling stones, U2, Led Zepplin

One weird point... they are all British.

Definitely timeless.

I should kick you for mentioning Coldplay.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:00 pm

John Mayer
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby txlonghorn47 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:03 pm

If U2, Dave Matthews, and Coldplay are the timeless artist of our generation then out generation SUCKS ASS!!
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby BarryBnds on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:11 pm

Speaking of timeless going to see Bob Dylan tonight. Depending on the genre I'd say George Strait has to be on the list somewhere. Fighters of Foo? 2Pac? Jay-Z? Nirvana?
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:04 pm

From a hip hop perspective, Jay Z and maybe even Kanye will be celebrated for decades.

I could see U2, but not Radiohead.

Music is different now.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby MBK271 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:53 pm

Jay-Z is timeless? Kanye?

Sheesh. I guess but I am disappointed.

Probably more Jay-Z than Kanye.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:52 am

Yes, Sethrey.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:00 pm

PJ is my favorite band of all time, but even I hate the last few records, no way my kids will ever like anything they put out..

I don't have any use for anything Pearl Jam has done since Vitalogy, but I would imagine that lots of kids that are about your kids' age will dig up old Pearl Jam stuff when they hit their teen years the way people our age did with Led Zepplin and other bands from that era.

As far as bands putting out albums and continuing to sell out stadiums goes, I agree with you. I don't think there's anybody in our generation that will have that kind of staying power. Because of the internet, music has kind of become like politics in that you don't really ever have to hear anything outside of whatever little niche in music you occupy if you don't want. That makes it hard for anything other than bands aimed at 10 year old girls and other lowest common denominator stuff to achieve any kind of pop cultural importance.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby BarryBnds on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:17 am

Drew Corleone wrote:From a hip hop perspective, Jay Z and maybe even Kanye will be celebrated for decades.

I could see U2, but not Radiohead.

Music is different now.

Jay-Z for sure. No way on Kanye. Jay-Z is coming up on 20 years in the business. He bridges the 2pac and Biggie era.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Return to Strange, But True