PSA: HBO Reagan Documentary premieres Monday

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Postby HornMafia on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:37 am

The Trailer

Being HBO, I expect it to be great. DVR set.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Re: PSA: HBO Reagan Documentary premieres Monday

Postby BevoisaSoxFan on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:47 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely will be watching.
BevoisaSoxFan
All American
All American

Postby Mr. Peabody on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Good? Bad? Great?
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:02 pm

Haven't watched it yet. On the DVR.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:17 pm

Forgot to DVR, but caught the second half of it. Ron Reagan is such a smarmy little prick.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby BevoisaSoxFan on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:40 pm

I kept forgetting to make a comment on this last week.

Overall, it was meh.

I was disappointed that they skipped over several things that made Reagan's presidency notable, like his wonderful speech after the Challenger disaster. Not a mention of that. Also not a mention of a 65% approval rating for a president departing office. That's still an astounding number.

They certainly covered Iran Contra which was fair, but at the same time there was plenty of discussion around the 'myths' of his presidency.

Yes, defense spending increased so it racked up a huge deficit but it was all in the name of winning the Cold War which is what happened. I think alot of people forget how scray the Soviet Union was viewed back in the 80s. We came pretty close to war when they shot down that Korean airliner back in '83.

I am glad they showed Reagan taking on all those deadbeat hippies and beatniks in Berkeley when he was governor of California. Amen to that. Don't fuck with The Greatest Generation.
BevoisaSoxFan
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:50 pm

Yeah we watched it last night and I thought it was pretty meh myself.

It went to great lengths to tell us that Reaganomics didn't work, but didn't give us a dissenting vote that American businesses had unprecedented growth while Reagan was in office and also went to great lengths to tell us that Reagan was a myth upon which the Republican party is foolishly based upon.

Nothing on the things that Arch mentioned, nothing on how instrumental he was in ending the Cold War (no pundits saying that he was instrumental, just people telling us his side was overblown), nothing on Sandra Day O'Connor.

Instead, if we were to show this to students nowadays who have no idea who Reagan is we would see that he was an actor turned politician who ran up the national debt and plunged us into the great depression while turning his eyes away from the great AIDS epidemic that wiped out half of America.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby BarryBnds on Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Totally agree with being ambivelent over the whole thing. I guess I was expecting the BJ that they gave Kennedy is his documentary. Although the negative things that were said were true they sure spent a whole lot of time pointing those out and very little time pointing out the positives he brought the country. They seemed to explain away every good thing he did as the benefit of someone else (hostages being released) and all the bad things (Iran Contra, economy) that happened were his fault.

Also to claim that the main reason the country loved him was because he got shot is a stretch at best. All in all too much time spent on de-ifying the myth of Reagan rather than evaluating what made the myth. To spend more time on his 7 years at GE than his 8 years as president was odd to me.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby tamut98 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:31 pm

BB and Matt summed up my thoughts. Ron Reagan is such a pissy little bitch.
WuhPOW!
tamut98
All Conference
All Conference

Return to Strange, But True