Lost - Finale

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Lost - Finale

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sun May 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Meh.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Re: Lost - Finale

Postby Drew Corleone on Sun May 23, 2010 9:41 pm

Loved it.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sun May 23, 2010 9:48 pm

That was some hamfisted shit right there.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Sun May 23, 2010 9:54 pm

Smoke Monster says "meh".

As an individual episode, I thought it was really good (up until the last 10 minutes or whatever). It reminded me of why I loved the show. But it doesn't make up for a crappy last couple of seasons. So many major story arcs that were just totally abandoned.
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sun May 23, 2010 10:01 pm

Oh yeah.... Looking at the series as a whole, I'd be pretty hard pressed to come up with another show that's ever been on TV that was as great as it was for as long as it was. I just didn't dig the last season very much.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Sun May 23, 2010 10:27 pm

A story's ending will never completely satisfy everyone - whether it be the actual end result or the manner in which it was achieved. With this in mind, the measure of a great story is its success in creating and developing characters in itself, creating a bond between the characters and the audience. And finally, a great story has an ending that touches both the audience and the characters themselves.

I thought the finale was very well done artistically - the production, directing, and acting. They didn't try to solve everyone's problems with the final 2 1/2 hours - characters/plot/viewers - they simply rolled out their major players and asked them to carry the team home. Good stuff if you ask me.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Lost - Finale

Postby HornMafia on Sun May 23, 2010 10:56 pm

Great stuff.

I need a couple of days to process it all, but well done.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby tamut98 on Mon May 24, 2010 8:14 am

I enjoyed it. Went to bed thinking about it and woke up thinking about it - mainly the last 10 minutes of the show.
WuhPOW!
tamut98
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Bucharest on Mon May 24, 2010 2:05 pm

Great read if you've got some free time on your hands.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-end,41436/

" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby edsfopmfolm on Mon May 24, 2010 4:31 pm

I didn't like this season anywhere near as much as any of its predecessors (my limited posts reflect that) and think this season and in retrospect the last season as well were the worst of the bunch. I never digged the Jacob/MIB storyline. Now that all is said and done I wish they never went down that path. I think they could have gotten to the same result with Ben and Widmore playing similar type roles and it would have been far more interesting. Far more. Instead they just abandoned that story like many others that I would have rather seen explained or touched upon again. I had really hoped Miles would have spoken to dead Widmore to get something more out of that story. Oh well. Not my story to tell.

However, I thought the first 2:20 of last night were great. Really great. While the ending left me a little empty, I'm not going to scream "that sucked" when I was engrossed for 4 hours and 20 minutes (pre-show included).

In the end though (no pun intended) I thought about the show for hours after and a good portion of today still trying to grasp everything. I have read numerous blogs and threads on different sites. Can a show "suck" or even disappoint if it has you thinking about it that much?

Nope. The fact that my expectations were raised to the point that I was expecting perfection speaks volumes.It's going to be a long while before we see another show like this.
edsfopmfolm
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby HornMafia on Mon May 24, 2010 9:23 pm

LOST was always about the characters and never about the story of the island and all of that. Sure, the island's mysteries were nice plot devices, but in the end it was about these characters and their interaction with each other that made this show what it was.

In the end, does it really matter about Ben v. Widmore? They came, they destroyed, they corrupted, just like the MiB said they would. Their struggle was a power struggle over control of an island that neither of them had a clue what it really represented. I've seen people on the Interwebs complain that the Dharma drops were never explained, or that the Egyptian artifacts were never explained. Again, they were just people that came, destroyed and corrupted and had little to do with our Losties.

This season was great because in these last few episodes, we've seen the interaction between the characters that we haven't seen since Season 1. We met them again, and in the process we got to re-live their past greatness. Are there significant plot holes in Lost? Of course. Any drama written with such a strict story set over six seasons is going to have that.

And yeah, there were things that I wish was never introduced to the show (like time travel), but in the end, no show in the history of my TV fandom has made me gasp, made me tear up, made me care about a character I hated dying (Charlie), and more importantly, made me think like this one did.

I'm really, really going to miss this show.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Makaveli on Mon May 24, 2010 9:40 pm

I kept trying to throw out the theory that they were all dead, but then the show would repeatedly eliminate that as a possibility. So I eventually relented, however conceding that the writers might be making this up as they go. But in the meantime, they went so crazy with the plot lines that I now can't remember the 5 or 6 instances that prove they weren't dead. Maybe that was the whole point of the last 4 1/2 seasons before they went and Shyamalaned the whole shitty series. Just confuse you so much that you think they must be smart. Hamfisted is an understatement.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Makaveli on Mon May 24, 2010 9:42 pm

To Matt's point, the finale did have 3-4 really nice scenes.

Also found it humorous they found a place to force the phrase "Long Con"
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon May 24, 2010 10:55 pm

Mak,

Now that Lost is out of the way, I'd recommend giving Mad Men a shot on DVD.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby edsfopmfolm on Tue May 25, 2010 8:37 am

HornMafia wrote:LOST was always about the characters and never about the story of the island and all of that. Sure, the island's mysteries were nice plot devices, but in the end it was about these characters and their interaction with each other that made this show what it was.

In the end, does it really matter about Ben v. Widmore? They came, they destroyed, they corrupted, just like the MiB said they would. Their struggle was a power struggle over control of an island that neither of them had a clue what it really represented. I've seen people on the Interwebs complain that the Dharma drops were never explained, or that the Egyptian artifacts were never explained. Again, they were just people that came, destroyed and corrupted and had little to do with our Losties.

See here's where I agree and disagree at the same time. I don't really care about the Dharma drop, the hieroglyphics, who built the statue, why Sun didn't go back to 1977, or even necessarily how Anthony Cooper appeared in the box. I am not a SCI-fi person so I was about the characters. The major plot hole they dropped (in my view) was a character issue (and not meaningless garbage like who were the Degroots and when did Radzinsky kill himself).

The first 4 seasons were about the Losties and the Others. I still really don't know anything definitive about the Others. Why did they kidnap certain Losties like the stewardess? Why were they obsessed with children? Why couldn't they have children? I'm guessing it realted to the Incident but that would have taken 5 seconds to answer. Everything to do with Walt including his abilities, what tests he took and why they let him go.

Why was widmore banished? Who was the child with the outsider? Who was the outsider? When did Ellie leave the island? Were these related? There are probably a million more that go directly to this basic theme of the Others. To label that faction of people as just "one of many who came and destroyed" doesn't work for me.

My disappointment stemmed from falsely assuming that Widmore and Ben appeared to be at the heart of answering all of these issues. Instead they were dismissed as insignificant.

Also I am left wondering what the role of Richard was other than demonstrating the power of Jacob. If man corrupts and kills etc... and Jacob was trying to show that is wrong then why was Jacob's "represenattive" a leader in the Purge of the Dharma Initiative, annihilating the US army in the 1950's etc...?
edsfopmfolm
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby BarryBnds on Tue May 25, 2010 8:38 am

Newhart was the best season finale ever.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby edsfopmfolm on Tue May 25, 2010 9:39 am

BarryBnds wrote:Newhart was the best season finale ever.

I'm partial to the Larry Sanders show but that was solid. Pretty funny as one of Kimmel's alternate endings.
edsfopmfolm
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby Bucharest on Fri May 28, 2010 1:39 pm

http://warmingglow.uproxx.com/2010/05/a ... lost-video

That said, considering all the “Lost” crap I’ve endured over the last three days/four weeks/five months, I wouldn’t post the video below unless it wasn’t genuinely cool. It’s the initial scene played in reverse, with the inset picture showing the final scene. With regards to ‘Lost,” I’m as cynical as they come, and even I have to admit that this is pretty well executed. (Also well executed: the Smoke Monster. Although it sure as hell took long enough.)

:-k
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Return to Strange, But True