Lost - 4/6

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Lost - 4/6

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:16 pm

I wonder what the signifcance of the picture of the scale on the wall of Widmore's office is? Is Widmore a former Jacob or a former Man In Black?
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Re: Lost - 4/6

Postby HornMafia on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:06 pm

That was good. I don't know how it all fits together, but that was good.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:06 pm

Now we're getting somewhere. That was good stuff.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Yep, they pulled me back in. I had almost gotten to the point of thinking, "okay, let's just get these last few episodes over with", but now I'm very anxious to see what they've got up their sleeve.
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:22 am

My only complaint is that I wish that episode had come earlier in the season because at this point I'm sure how they're going to wrap up everything that needs to be wrapped up. I know they said not everything is going to have a neat little bow on it, but I'm a little worried not enough stuff will be sufficiently resolved. That said, I really liked this episode and have liked all of them this season except for the Kate episode.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby edsfopmfolm on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:48 am

these desmond episodes deliver everytime. My favorite episode this season by a mile.

I'm really wondering how the Oceanic survivors will respond when Desmond "shows them" . While Desmond saw he had another "better" life and met his Constant something clicked for him. But how do choices come into play for the other characters with regard to the competing universes? Jack has a kid that will cease to exist. Hurley is a billionaire with no apparent issues. Locke is alive and has a wife and a good relationship with his father. Boone is dead. Charlie is dead. Why would they want the island universe?

This is where I would think the whole "they're all patients in a mental hospital theory" could come back around as they go nuts fighting the reality that they belong somewhere else and in that place the grass isn't greener (see, Charlie). That is partially a joke but it does come back to the free will vs. destiny angle.

Just trying to figure out how this all ties to back to what happens if the MIB "wins"and how the eventual replacement for Jacob is chosen.

Wow, my brain is completely fried.... but at least in a good way.
edsfopmfolm
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby Makaveli on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:16 am

This was a great episode.

My only complaint is that I have no clue what is going on.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Bucharest on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:35 am

:lol:

Makaveli wrote:This was a great television series.

My only complaint is that I have no clue what is going on.

Fixed your post.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:07 pm

I think this theory sounds plausible:

There is a connection between love and constants. How souls go beyond any dimensions in time. Desmond's constant is Penny, and his mission is to find the Oceanic passengers in the alt who still remain on the island in the that timeline, and help them find their constants. He will trigger their memories by reconstructing a key event from their island lives, and by helping them find their constant. In this episode we see that Charlie and Daniel begin to remember through their constants, Claire and Charlotte. I BET YOU in the next few weeks we will see Desmond identify who's still left on the island while in that reality, and then find them in the alt when he flashes back. Through finding their constants, their on island selves will begin to have "memories" or visions of the alt, and see what their lives would be if they prevent MIB from leaving the island, by sinking it! Here is a breakdown:

In the alt:
Hurley: Desmond will introduce/remind him of Libby, his constant
Sawyer: His constant will be Juliet
Charlie: Claire, already seen
Daniel: Charlotte, already seen
Claire: Charlie
etc..

On the island:
Hurley: Will see his life in the alt as lucky, his love Libby will be alive, maybe he ends up with her!
Claire: She gets to raise Aaron
Jin & Sun: Je Yeon survives in the alt, they can be a family together
Jack: He gets to be a dad
Sawyer: See's himself meeting and ending up with Juliet
etc..

When the on island Losties see what they can have if the island is sunk, they are willing to sacrifice their lives to sink it! This is it!! If MIB leaves the island, the release of electromagnetism will be catastrophic. The world will end, and everyone they love will cease to exist. The alt visions give the Losties the incentive and willingness to sacrifice their lives to save the world! They sink the island to prevent MIB from leaving the island, and prevent the release of the electromagnetism.

There is only one end, and this is it! While there is a new candidate, they will never take over Jacob's spot. Think of it as Neo in the Matrix.. he's the "one", selected for the specific purpose of "saving the world" and thus resetting the Matrix, but he never fulfills that role, as his LOVE for that girl was so strong. I believe Jack is the candidate, but he will never take over as protector of the island, he will destroy it.. there is only ONE END.

Purpose of Jacob and MIB. Jacob is literally the jail warden, making sure MIB doesn't escape, causing the end of mankind. His candidates are replacement jail wardens, to do the same job as him.. UNLESS, the candidates are willing to make the ULTIMATE sacrifice and give their lives to destroy (sink) the island, preventing MIB from leaving. He needed to find someone who was willing to give up their desires, wants, needs.. someone who wasn't power hungry, corrupt.. those would be the only people who would be willing to sacrifice their lives for a greater good!! As MIB pointed out in the conversation with Jacob, that hadn't happen yet, but the difference this time.. DESMOND!!! By giving them the ability to peer into their alternative lives, to jump between realities and see through the looking glass, he is able to reassure them that there is something good waiting for them on the other side, so dropping their own desires in the on island timeline is achievable.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby HornMafia on Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:03 am

CJ Wilson, Carton Cuse and Damon Lindelof play grabass.

HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Return to Strange, But True