Lost 3/23

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Lost 3/23

Postby U2-Horn on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:13 pm

This season sucks.
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Re: Lost 3/23

Postby HornMafia on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:14 pm

I thought it was great.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:55 pm

:shock:

Wow.....yeah......that might be one of my favorite Lost episodes in the series!!!
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:08 pm

I liked it a lot.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby tamut98 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:29 am

Definitely enjoyed it. One of my favorite episodes too.
WuhPOW!
tamut98
All Conference
All Conference

Postby edsfopmfolm on Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:39 am

I'm with U2.

I realize I am in the minority on this one, but I don't like is how they're using their time with 7 hours left. This episode was 40 minutes of a backstory that could have taken 10. They could have used the remaining 30 minutes to cover what Richard did between 1867-1977 and how he interacted with Dharma etc... Also, the Whoopi Goldberg/Patrick Swayze/Demi Moore scene with Hurley playing Whoopi was just painful.

The writers have essentially taken a great show of 100 episodes and essentially written all of those charcters we've watched for 6 seasons out of the plot. Ben is a shell of himself. Sayid is gone. Sawyer/Jin/Sun appear once a month. What we are left with is a show that someone who started watching 6 weeks ago could follow... (here are 2 guys that have been around for awhile and everyone that has came along after them, including the main characters on this show are just insignificant pawns). I thought they were going to make progress by killing off the Temple people but then they go ahead and add 15 new characters in last week's episode. Very disappointing. I almost fast-forwarded part of it last night to get to the ending.

I expect a hell of a finale, but am concerned that I may view this show as a complete waste of time when it is all over (and I have already watched seasons 1-4 at least 3 times each).
edsfopmfolm
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby HornMafia on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:01 am

I've seen this elsewhere and I don't know why it really matters what Richard did with Dharma from 1867-1977. We already know what he did. We saw that last year. What we didn't know is the back story, and how he has eternal life, etc.

I do agree that it appears that the Losties have taken somewhat of a backseat this year, but it appears that they'll be mingling more together starting next week.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:55 am

It's never a bad episode when you finally get the back story of one of the most important and intriguing characters in the entire show. Combine that with the additional back story involving the Black Rock and how it got there, dialogue and further back story involving Jacob and MIB, and Hurley talking to more dead people.......and you've got one hell of an episode.....loved it.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:17 am

Bucharest wrote:It's never a bad episode when you finally get the back story of one of the most important and intriguing characters in the entire show.

Well that's the whole thing...I don't think Richard is important in the least. Fairly intriguing maybe, but that's it.
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:18 am

wow (from shaggy)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Howling_Man

Synopsis

The story is told in a flashback by an American called David Ellington. While on a walking trip through post-World War I Europe, Ellington becomes lost, is drenched by rain and seeks shelter in a nearby castle. He is told to leave immediately, but he collapses, shivering.

Upon waking inside the castle, Ellington hears a wolf-like howl and goes to investigate. In the bowels of the castle he finds a bedraggled, but apparently cultured and intelligent man in a cell. The man claims to be a prisoner of an insane religious order, locked up because he kissed his sweetheart.

Ellington is seen talking to the prisoner, and is taken to a meeting with the leader of the order, Brother Jerome, who explains that the prisoner is not a man, but rather the devil himself. He has been locked up in the room using the "Staff of Truth" to bar the door since shortly after World War I. He came to the village to corrupt it, but Jerome recognized him for what he was and imprisoned him. His actions have given the world five years of relative peace. Ellington becomes convinced that Jerome is insane. Fearing for his safety, he pretends to believe the incredible story. Jerome is not fooled however, and assigns another brother to watch him.

Ellington waits until his guard falls asleep and creeps down to the cell. Seeing that the staff which held the door shut was easily within reach of the imprisoned man, Ellington briefly wondered why he did not remove it himself. At the man's urging, he removes the staff barring the cell door and releases the prisoner. When the prisoner exits the cell, he pins Ellington to the floor and begins to change, taking on the appearance of the devil with each step before departing the castle in a plume of smoke.

Jerome finds the collapsed Ellington and sadly explains that the inability to recognize the devil has always been Man's great weakness.

The flashback ends. Ellington explains to the hotel maid that he has spent the time since then hunting for the devil to atone for his mistake, through World War II, the Korean War, and the development of nuclear weapons. He finally succeeded; he has him locked in a room and intends to return him to the castle and Brother Jerome's keeping. He warns the skeptical housekeeper not to remove the staff holding the door closed under any circumstances while he goes to make his final preparations.

After Ellington leaves, the curious woman, disbelieving his story, removes the Staff of Truth barring the door...
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:50 am

U2-Horn wrote:
Well that's the whole thing...I don't think Richard is important in the least. Fairly intriguing maybe, but that's it.

Well he apparently knows what to do next.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:05 pm

I, for one, thought he was pretty important. Here's a guy that has stood by in some role with the others for decades... he's always been there, but we never knew much about what his role really was. Last night shed some light on that.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Makaveli on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:21 pm

It's good to see ya'll have opinions, because personally I don't know what I think.

My friend Colin says he has it all figured out after last night. Says the Island is the river Styx and jacob is the ferryman or something like that and if I knew mythology then I would understand what he is saying. If we were playing team trivia at Friday's, this is the point where I hand my controller to Drew.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby edsfopmfolm on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:48 am

here's the video for the Howling Man. It's 25 minutes but was pretty good.

http://www.tv.com/video/CMn1vaTft9Nv9ni ... ode_header
edsfopmfolm
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby HornMafia on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:49 pm

If any of you want some chuckles go back and read some old threads on this board from this show's infancy.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:34 pm

Another overview from one of my favorite TV blogs.

http://warmingglow.uproxx.com/2010/03/well-played-lost
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:21 pm

Meh. Didn't really like it.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:49 pm

Was finally able to watch it today. I enjoyed it.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Return to Strange, But True