Malcolm Gladwell

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Malcolm Gladwell

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:38 pm

I've heard a lot about this guy's books the past few years, so I picked up Blink at Half Price yesterday. Through 70 pages it's very thought-provoking (its premise is that the human subconscious works in a way that allows us to think without thinking). He uses a lot of anecdotes and psychological research to back up this claim, and while I get the feeling that it's a classic example of developing the premise first and cherry-picking the supporting evidence, I still find myself captivated by the thought of it all.

This seems like the kind of material a few of you would be keen to ponder. Any thoughts out there on Gladwell and his works?
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Re: Malcolm Gladwell

Postby MBK271 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:41 pm

Great topic.

So, I've heard great things about his work as well. I picked up "Blink" to take a shot at it.

I hate this fucking book. It's 10% material and 90% stories to back that material. And unlike you, I don't think this idea is original or novel. The researchers that he references have been working on this shit for decades. It's just the fact that he hit it with "The Tipping Point" that people are giving him credit for the idea. We're talking Harvard researchers versus a Washington Post writer.

I was pissed but was willing to give "Outliers" and "The Tipping Point" a tryuntil I heard that both of them are the same. An idea that he spends the entire buook validating through stories. Fuck, call me a nerd but I would prefer some emperical and scientific evidence to your theory before you hand it on.

If you like this shit, read the Harvard Business Review. It contains guys with actual proprietary thought and is about 30 pages instead of 200. And even better, you get actual theory & research rather than stores about sailors, generals, and engineers from 100 years ago to support the claim.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby MBK271 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:44 pm

And I'm serious about the HBR. You should take a look at it if you like "Blink".

It's where real mother fuckers like Michael Porter get their start, rather than this douche.

I will admit, I'm going to give Tipping Point 100 pages before I put it down.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby MBK271 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:52 pm

Oh, and to be fair, I understand that he has not written for the Post since 96.

He has written for the New Yorker since then.

Way to be. I would've thought that he'd had more respect for others' ideas and research.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:10 am

Hot. Sports. Opinions.

Yeah, I'm not giving him all of the credit for coming up with the ideas, but I don't think he tries to pass it all off as his own, either.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby LMQueen on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:30 pm

Seth, it is probably good that you missed out on the conversation about "The Secret" that Vallini and Stacey were having in the line at the tubing place. I kept my thoughts to myself on that one. :lol:
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:37 pm

LMQueen wrote:Seth, it is probably good that you missed out on the conversation about "The Secret" that Vallini and Stacey were having in the line at the tubing place. I kept my thoughts to myself on that one. :lol:

My sister-in-law was into that bullshit a few years ago.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:07 am

Necro-bump...

About 80 percent of the way through Outliers and this may be my favorite yet. Some of the ideas he presents around "expertise" and success are fascinating.

Since it's two years later I figure I would see if anyone has ever checked out any of his books.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Return to Strange, But True