2009 Music

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

2009 Music

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:08 pm

Might as well have a thread for this...

I DL'd the new Gourds this week and it's much like their older stuff... some good drinkin' songs, some songs that they obviously wrote while hammered, and the rest is a mix of "solid" and "blech."

Also, I kept reading about Animal Collective's upcoming album being the first great release of 2009, and I've heard a few tracks (I'm not familiar with their previous stuff). It's pretty strange. Not sure it's my kind of thing.

The Decemberists are supposed to release a new album this year, and at present that's what I'm looking forward to most.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Re: 2009 Music

Postby U2-Horn on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:30 pm

U2 has an album coming out in March.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:20 pm

The Decemberists are supposed to release a new album this year, and at present that's what I'm looking forward to most.

+1
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:17 pm

Other stuff:

New Morrissey album next month.

Will Johnson (from Centro-matic) and Jason Molina (from Magnolia Electric Co.) got together and recorded an album and that's due out in a few months.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:23 pm

The new Bon Iver EP is out. The first two tracks are good. I don't much care for the third track. The fourth track is yet another instance of abuse of auto-tune. People need to cut that shit out.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:30 pm

Funny... I just downloaded that.

I see Ben Kweller has some new stuff due out. I found a track on Hype machine that I downloaded, but I haven't listened to it yet. His last album was pretty good the first time through, but I guess it didn't have a whole lot of staying power with me.

Jason Isbell (formerly the heart and soul of the Drive-By Truckers) has another solo album pending, too, and I'm looking forward to it as well.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Simon Honeybone on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:04 pm

Albums that I'm mildly interested in seeing if they are decent but not expecting them to be...

Sounds of the Universe
Invaders Must Die
Sex-O Olympic-O
Detox
Relapse
Crack the Skye
Swift & Changeable
I fart in the B_S & Big XII's general direction
Simon Honeybone
All Conference
All Conference

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:08 pm

There's a song from the new album available at their website.

Edit: I've heard a few of the songs off of the Animal Collective album and I don't get it either.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:45 pm

I found it on Hype machine about a week ago; it's solid... still really looking forward to the full album.

Animal Collective has yet to grow on me.

I just bought the Ben Kweller tonight, but haven't listened to the rest of it (just the song I mentioned earlier - "Fight"). It's much more rootsy than his previous stuff. He's playing an in-store tomorrow at Waterloo that I may check out.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:13 pm

While he hasn't had anything since 89, much less 2009, I will be going to see huey Lewis and the News tonight.
utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby 12ozLongneck on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:57 am

12ozLongneck wrote:New Morrissey album next month.

This came out today. It's better than his last album, but not as good as You Are the Quarry or any of his early solo stuff. There are a few songs that will make it into the rotation, but it's not a great overall album. B.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Simon Honeybone on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:08 am

Sir Luscious Left Foot

Forgot that one
I fart in the B_S & Big XII's general direction
Simon Honeybone
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Bucharest on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:10 am

Depeche Mode have announced the track listing for their eagerly anticipated 12th studio album 'Sounds Of The Universe', released April 20th, on Mute. The release is preceded by their stunning new single ‘Wrong’, out April 6th - the first single to be taken from the album.

'Sounds Of The Universe' marks a reunion between Depeche Mode and Ben Hillier, who previously produced their 2005 album 'Playing The Angel'. Eclectic and energised, the band's new LP was recorded in Santa Barbara and New York.

'Sounds Of The Universe' Track Listing

1. In Chains
2. Hole To Feed
3. Wrong
4. Fragile Tension
5. Little Soul
6. In Sympathy
7. Peace
8. Come Back
9. Spacewalker
10. Perfect
11. Miles Away / The Truth Is
12. Jezebel
13. Corrupt

Uhhhhhh.......word.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:23 pm

Troubador[b] - K'naan. Two thumbs way up. K'naan is a Somalian born Hip Hop artist who combines African, Reggae and traditional hip hop elements in his music. It's a really good album. Comes out Tuesday.

[b]No Line on the Horizon
- U2. Big bowl of meh. I'm not saying it's terrible, it's just boring and sounds like a way watered down version of some of their better stuff.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:06 pm

AtlLonghorn wrote:
No Line on the Horizon - U2. I'm not saying it's terrible

I am
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:52 pm

That sucks. It's always a drag when an album you've been geeking out about fails to deliver.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:15 am

12ozLongneck wrote:That sucks. It's always a drag when an album you've been geeking out about fails to deliver.

[holding my breath] New Decemberists [/holding my breath]
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:32 pm

For those so inclined, which is probably very few, Royksopp has a (rumored)double album coming out this year called "Junior", which is supposedly going to be followed up by "Senior" later this year.

Whether you like their music or not, the video is pretty damn cool.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:09 am

I sampled a few Royksopp tracks because they kept popping up on Hype machine... not really my thing, but it's not bad at all. It's much better than most of the dance-pop-rock stuff that seems to be all the rage these days. I just can't get into most of it (Lykke Li, I'm looking at you).

The new Jason Isbell is pretty good. I also bought Spirits of Apollo, by N.A.S.A, a collaboration between rapper Squeak E. Clean, who I'm not familiar with, and a Brazilian DJ. It has a lot of contributions from well-known hip hop artists, and is worth checking out.

My favorite find lately was the Silversun Pickups, who have a very Pumpkins-esque feel to them. Their last album came out in 2007, but I never heard their stuff until my old boss burned me a CD a few weeks ago. "Lazy Eye" is an outstanding song. They apparently have a new album due next month, too.

Over the last week I've spent a lot of time looking up some of the bands I'm going to check out the next few days. My favorite has been The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, who have a melodic sound reminiscent of Belle and Sebastian.

Oh, and I just bought the iTunes pre-release of the new Decemberists.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby HornMafia on Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:42 pm

I'm really liking this N.A.S.A.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:50 pm

My favorite find lately was the Silversun Pickups, who have a very Pumpkins-esque feel to them. Their last album came out in 2007, but I never heard their stuff until my old boss burned me a CD a few weeks ago. "Lazy Eye" is an outstanding song. They apparently have a new album due next month, too.

I listened to some of their stuff after a few people with reliable taste in music recommended them to me. It's not my bag, but I can see why people would really dig them.

Like you, I am super geeked up about the new Decemberists album.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby SmoothLonghorn on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:25 pm

I heard this recently on XM and was shocked that it hadn't been beaten to death by stations like Kiss FM....yet. The artist is B.o.B, but the song sounds a lot like Outkast/Andre (probably not completely coincidental that he is from Decatur, GA). It was released as a single late last year, and he has not had a full album yet, so it is tough to tell if this is what everything else will sound like from him. The song is not real deep--just kind of fun/catchy, which unfortunately also means that if it catches on, we'll hear it non-stop by Memorial Day..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqPxzzpTrSU
P.S./Edit: It says embedding is disabled on this song, but I think it is worth checking out....
I have no problem with people like Smooth who know what they believe and why they believe it - even if it is different than I.--UTwiz
SmoothLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:16 pm

B.o.B. is excellent, his last mixtape "Who the f%@k is B.o.B.?" was great.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:23 pm

Oh, and I just bought the iTunes pre-release of the new Decemberists.

What do you think? I'm digging it. The Rake's Song, The Abduction of Margaret and The Queen's Rebuke/The Crossing is about as solid of a three song stretch on an album as I've heard in quite awhile.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:00 am

The first time I listened through it I was trying to make myself like it, just to avoid disappointment. But I was not quite getting it.

Then I kept listening.

The album is so well orchestrated and the collaborations so perfect that I can't stop listening. You speak the truth with that three-song stretch, but I think from there through the end is nothing short of spectacular.

Someone on Shaggy described it as Melloy's masterpiece. Initially I scoffed, but I've now changed my mind.

FWIW... Melloy said this would be a "polarizing" release, but I haven't seen any critical reviews from fans yet.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Next

Return to Strange, But True