iPhone Applications Thread

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Postby SmoothLonghorn on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:05 pm

Ok, now that the touchscreen Blackberry is almost on the market, I don't know why I'm suddenly seriously considering the Iphone, but here are some quick questions:
1. For those that use Gmail, is there an App or a way to set it up to get those emails (relatively) instantly? If so, is there much of a time delay? And if not, do you just have to go old-school and navigate to Google/Gmail.com?;
2. You can send/receive text messages, correct? But not certain kinds? I can't remember what was/is the issue here;
3. Can you sync with Outlook contacts? That is how I've been keeping them since getting a Windows Mobile device.

Thank you in advance for any help...
I have no problem with people like Smooth who know what they believe and why they believe it - even if it is different than I.--UTwiz
SmoothLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:18 pm

1. The iPhone has it to where you can set up your email on your home page, just like a Blackberry. It's not true "push" function as of now, but it's getting there. It might now show up as new mail right away, but when you click on the mail icon, it checks it and it is immediately there.

2. You just can't receive picture messages. You get them, but it gives you a web address with a log-on and password to retrieve it. Pain in the ass, no doubt.

3. I don't use Outlook, so someone else might have to answer that, but I know that it asks you in iTunes if you want to sync with your Outlook contacts. Just don't know how good it is for that.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby U2-Horn on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:22 pm

I was ready to go buy an iPhone but decided I'd wait until after Macworld in January (5th-9th) because there's a good chance there will be some changes to the iPhone lineup. (16GB and 32GB versions instead of 8 and 16, and maybe the 16GB selling for what the 8GB currently goes for).

Something to think about smooth.
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:29 pm

It does sync with your Outlook contacts Smooth, so you're good on that front.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby SmoothLonghorn on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:45 pm

Thanks guys, that is everything I needed....well, except for U2 raining on my parade. I swear, every time I think I'm going to replace my brick of an old phone, something comes up. The information about possibility of changes is actually much appreciated, though.....
I have no problem with people like Smooth who know what they believe and why they believe it - even if it is different than I.--UTwiz
SmoothLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Simon Honeybone on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:32 pm

My iPhone pulls any changes I make to my contacts off the exchange server almost instantly. Same with calendar items....

Gmail does not push but you can set the iPhone up to fetch it at certain intervals which is sufficient since it's only my personal email account and thus not critical path.

I've had no issue with text messaging. I've sent text messages to and from Cambodia. Just make sure you have your contacts stored properly with the +countrycode in front and you are golden. It's real easy to do in Outlook just choose the country from the dropdown and plug in the number.

I absolutely love the iPhone but here are my gripes.

1) I want a home screen with a summary of upcoming events, unread emails, and missed calls. I understand not everyone wants/needs this screen but let me choose a setting that would enable it as my default on my device

2) I wish the keypad would rotate the way safari rotates a website when you flip the iPhone during emails & text messages as I could use the extra space between the soft keys to not fat finger the wrong soft key so often.

3) Run apps in the background without having to jailbreak the device. I don't have time to constantly worry about cracking my device each and every upgrade I want to simply upgrade and not care and it's a royal PITA when you are using an Application that runs over the network like Orb playing a song or TV then a call comes in stopping the Application dead in it's tracks so that when you return you have to start all over.

4) Battery life leaves a little to be desired but I guess that's the price you pay for such a functional/versatile device. Not much I can do here since it's a hardware issue but just keep a charger handy just in case you saturate the 3G or Wi-Fi connections (the primary culprits)
Simon Honeybone
All Conference
All Conference

Postby HornMafia on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:13 pm

Buch went over the app to get landscape mode on emails...but yeah, it would be nice for text messages, too.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:47 am

SmoothLonghorn wrote:Thanks guys, that is everything I needed....well, except for U2 raining on my parade. I swear, every time I think I'm going to replace my brick of an old phone, something comes up. The information about possibility of changes is actually much appreciated, though.....

I'm still rocking the first generation phone with only 8 GB of space Smooth, and it's never been a problem. The only time I really use my phone as an iPod is when I'm traveling, but it's not like I need 8 GB of music for the saaaaay 2+ hour flight to Vegas. If I'm ever traveling for a long period, on vacation for example, I bring the 160 GB iPod. I guess what I'm saying is, if you can get the first generation phone, I'd get that one because:

a) it has a longer battery life, and
b) I ain't gonna' lie, it just looks better

However, there could come a day where you need the additional space as large apps are developed....but that day's not here yet. That being said, if you want the 3G version, which would make sense and most people would, you'll be just fine with 16 GB.

With that all being said, does anyone know if you can still buy the first generation iPhone??
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Simon Honeybone on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:49 am

I thought the biggest gripe with the first generation was the headphone jack?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm going off the feedback from my friend in Pittsburgh who still is using his first gen device and says that's the only thing in the 3G he wishes he had.
I fart in the B_S & Big XII's general direction
Simon Honeybone
All Conference
All Conference

Postby U2-Horn on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:51 am

Yeah I don't have any interest in a 32GB iPhone, but there's a decent chance the 16GB will be $100 cheaper in January.

Not a big deal if it was 6 or more months away, but I'd be a little annoyed to buy one and have the price drop 6-8 weeks later.
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:12 am

Simon Honeybone wrote:I thought the biggest gripe with the first generation was the headphone jack?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm going off the feedback from my friend in Pittsburgh who still is using his first gen device and says that's the only thing in the 3G he wishes he had.

I bought a $10 adapter that took care of that problem, which I admit, was total bullshit on Apple's part, but if that's the worst thing about the phone(which I think it is), then I can live with that.
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:12 pm

http://gizmodo.com/5101308/amazon-iphon ... picture-of

Today, Amazon launched an iPhone app that'll exist solely to make buying crap easier. Its killer, buy-more-crap feature? Take a picture of anything, and Amazon'll shoot you the product page to waste money on it.

=D> :lol: =D>

Good stuff.
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:42 am

Have to add WunderRadio. It has a bunch of radio stations....but it has the only one that matters.

The Ticket.

So I can now listen to The Ticket. In my car. In Austin.

Sweet.

Also, it has police scanners, fire scanners and air traffic control scanners for a bunch of cities.

I'm in love.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:53 am

Well that settles any debate I had about getting an iPhone.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:32 am

I am now an iPhone owner. Yay me!
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby McKinneyHorn on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:36 am

Same here. Justified it to mama in the help of getting me employment in the near future. :D

Downloaded a game called Bix, .99 cents and it's been addictive already.

Count me as a 30 minute pooper now.
M.T.H. Let 'Em Run
McKinneyHorn
Starter
Starter

Re: iPhone Applications Thread

Postby HornMafia on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:26 pm

Robbi does NOT like iFart.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby eochs on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:30 pm

I confused the hell out of my dog with iFart last night... good times...

Also, anyone who used to play in the Robert Frazier Risk club, Lux Dlx is a badass Risk game for the iPhone... There is a free version of Lux (Lux Touch) also for the iPhone, but the Dlx version for $7.99 is worth it...

Easywriter is a free app that lets you use landscape mode to type e-mails...

PenguinLite is a fun little game for free...
"Tony Romo is going to take us to Miami." - UTWiz
eochs
Admin/2-time LMFZ WSoP Champ

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:08 pm

Does Lux Dix let you take over the Indian Ocean?
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby eochs on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:19 pm

No, I'm pretty sure Makers Mark and Patron are what let you take over the Indian Ocean. Also, I have conirmed that the Ukraine, is in fact, weak
"Tony Romo is going to take us to Miami." - UTWiz
eochs

Postby U2-Horn on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:00 pm

AT&T is selling refurbished iphones for $99 and $199 for anyone who's about to buy one...I'm still gonna wait until Macworld.
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby BarryBnds on Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:00 pm

I love Sportacular for my sports scores and schedules. I set up my favorite teams so it's so easy to pull the ones I want immediately.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby Bucharest on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:16 pm

Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby SmoothLonghorn on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:03 pm

Ok, U2, I'm getting impatient--what did you decide? I did a little (just a few minutes) research on my own and didn't see anything definitive about a 32gb model. I don't want to finally give in and go buy one just to have an updated model come out with a few weeks/couple of months (although I know with technologically that is always a risk), but I'm also starting to feel like Zach in SBTB when I pull out my phone.....
SmoothLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:47 pm

I still haven't bought one, and I'm resigned to just waiting until something big changes before buying one.

http://macosrumors.com/2008/11/18/next- ... /#more-196
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

PreviousNext

Return to Strange, But True