More HD channels for TWC in Austin

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Postby HornMafia on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:26 am

I thought Chris had Dish Network. Or different Chris?
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:11 am

Does he? I thought it was UV.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Re: Update...

Postby dahorns on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:47 am

tamut98 wrote:U-verse has recently updated their firmware so that it allows you to watch an HD channel and record another HD channel. You can also watch HD channels from other tvs in your house now without having to interrupt another set up.

Also, coming soon, you will able to watch recorded programs from any tv\box in your house from 1 DVR unit.

do you have to have a cable box on each tv?
I was looking at the u-verse info and was wondering with the channel numbers above 200, if older CRT TV would be able to access those channels.
Also, looks like their cable boxes are DVRs, unlike Time Warner where you can just get a box or box/DVR.
dahorns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby tamut98 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:33 pm

I have 3 tvs hooked up to U-verse. Each has a box.

I have 1 dvr box and the other 2 are just plain boxes, which are capable of processing HD signals.

If I am not mistaken, I am not paying any thing for the equipment.

I have not hooked up the cable straight to the tv so I don't know if I can even capture a signal with out a box between the tv and the wall.

My guess is that you have to have a box because it is not a typical cable signal it(signal) is coming in over the internet.
WuhPOW!
tamut98
All Conference
All Conference

Postby SmoothLonghorn on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:15 pm

1. Not really all that notable for most people except for me, but at least here in Austin, Time Warner has added the Big 10 Network. Unfortunately, I didn't know about it before this weekend, so Pluckers got more of my money than the measly $4.50 for the package. HM--do you get any emails/updates from Time Warner, or do you just find the info randomly?;
2. Of more interest to everyone locally, according to reports, Time Warner has not renewed their contract with local KXAN (NBC). Not really sure what this really means (if they try to pick up a local feed from somewhere else?), but considering the sound issues that I have with that feed, maybe this will actually be an improvement (unless, of course, I have to get "rabbit ears" to see The Office in HD = no bueno).....
I have no problem with people like Smooth who know what they believe and why they believe it - even if it is different than I.--UTwiz
SmoothLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:33 pm

Usually before they add channels they'll have "test" channels in the lineup...when I see those I go looking for info.

Also, there are a couple of sites that I look at every now and then:

Engadget HD

Avs Forum Austin HD
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby SmoothLonghorn on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:40 am

So, ummm, yeah, about #2 in my recent post, apparently I need to head to the store today. On the plus side, you don't have to worry about accidentally stumbling across a Notre Dame game tomorrow (with all due respect to those that are fans on here).

No matter what, this kind of sucks....
I have no problem with people like Smooth who know what they believe and why they believe it - even if it is different than I.--UTwiz
SmoothLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:59 am

Yeah it sucks.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby HornMafia on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:54 am

So I got a $17 antenna from Fry's....works great. And I even get the CW in HD...90210 baby!
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby tamut98 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:22 am

ATT Uverse now let's you have 1 dvr and you can watch recordings from any other set in your home.
WuhPOW!
tamut98
All Conference
All Conference

Postby HornMafia on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:47 am

KXAN is back...now I can actually DVR The Office again and don't have to worry if I'm not home at 7:59
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby HornMafia on Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:05 pm

Just noticed that we now have Fox News HD.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Re: More HD channels for TWC in Austin

Postby SmoothLonghorn on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:29 am

Heads-up for those on TWC in Austin (and not HD good news, either): http://www.broadcastingcable.com/articl ... ryid=47171
This is going to get real ugly when I have to tell Lindsey that she will be missing the Hills and Whitney (although hopefully this will be short-lived).....
Viacom Channels May Go Dark In Time Warner License Dispute
Channels include Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central and VH1
By Alex Weprin -- Broadcasting & Cable, 12/30/2008 9:12:00 PM
VIDEO: See Viacom's Time Warner ad campaign below.

Time Warner Cable subscribers that are fans of Spongebob Squarepants, The Colbert Report or The Hills may have to ring in the new year without their favorite programs. Viacom channels, including Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, VH1 and 15 other networks appear set to go dark on Time Warner Cable systems at midnight Wednesday. Viacom is preparing to pull the channels as part of a license agreement renewal dispute between the two companies.

Viacom asked Time Warner Cable for an increase of just under 25 cents per subscriber per month for carrying its 19 channels. The company justified the increase by saying its channels have been undervalued by Time Warner Cable.

"Americans spend more than 20% of their TV viewing time watching our networks, yet our fees amount to less than 2.5% of what Time Warner generates from their average customer," said a Viacom statement.

While the percentage increase per channel Viacom is seeking was not provided, someone close to the matter pegged it in the low double digits.

"Viacom is looking to make up for sagging ratings and declining ad revenue on the backs of Time Warner Cable Customers," said a Time Warner Cable spokesperson. "The increase they asked for was egregious; we have to fight for our customers."

In what is becoming a larger source of contention between MSOs and cable networks, Time Warner Cable cited the ubiquity of Viacom shows online as a reason for not valuing the networks as highly. Shows such as The Hills and The Daily Show with Jon Stewart are available in full for free online.

"Given our audiences, digital is a great compliment to the linear, but in no way is it a replacement," said an MTV Networks spokesperson. "In fact, we've seen linear ratings increase across our networks as online usage has increased. We understand this is a sensitive issue for our affiliates and we have been exploring authentication technology to further reinforce our commitment to partnership."

While the number of affected customers was not available at press time, the dispute will affect all of Time Warner Cable's top markets, including New York City, Los Angeles, Dallas-Fort Worth, Tampa-St. Petersburg/Sarasota (Brighthouse), Cleveland, Cincinnati and others.

Time Warner Cable is the second largest cable operator in the U.S., with nearly 13.3 million basic cable subscribers as of September.

Viacom is launching an advertising campaign asking Time Warner Cable customers to call the MSO and ask that they make a deal.
SmoothLonghorn
All American
All American

Re:

Postby Mr. Peabody on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:11 pm

tamut98 wrote:ATT Uverse now let's you have 1 dvr and you can watch recordings from any other set in your home.

ATT Uverse now let's you record up t0 4 different programs on your DVR at the same time.

I'm seriously thinking about going to AT&T Uverse. It would be much cheaper than Dish. They don't charge you DVR recording fees from what I understand. Dish charges me 2 DVR recording Fees. I have 3 HDTVs in my home. With Uverse, I can get an HDTV feed on all 3 TVs without having to pay out the ass for the equipment which I would have to do with Dish.

I already have AT&T fiber optic internet service and a home phone line. I'm thinking of dropping the home phone line. Don't need it.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby Blondie on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 pm

If U-verse was available in Round Rock, we'd switch. I'm sick of the TWC crap. I can't believe we're losing Spike, Noggin (my kid's addicted!), Comedy Central, and VH-1 (I mean, have you *seen* Rock of Love??? That alone is a reason to have the channel!). I'm pissed. And I cannot believe Viacom had that horrible "why is Dora crying?" commercial. Stupid.
Blondie
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby U2-Horn on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:36 am

Looks like TWC and Viacom settled things.
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:41 pm

Man, they've really stepped it up at Time Warner on the HD front lately.......I'm still dropping their sorry asses the first chance I get, which will hopefully be happening here in the next month or so, but as far as I can tell, these are all new HD channels.

MTV
Comedy Central
Cartoon Network
Investigation Discovery
TruTV
NBA TV(Listed, but told that won't be available until late February)
AMC
CNBC(may not be new?)
HBO 2 E
HBO Signature
HBO Comedy
HBO Zone
Showtime 2 E
MGM HD

Not bad.....now if they would only get Spike and FX, I'd be moderately pleased with their HD Lineup
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:09 pm

NBATV HD has been working for me for a couple weeks.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:11 pm

WHAAAAAAAT....thanks for the heads-up, 'caus I can't even get to 1641 for whatever reason.....hmmmm....I'm already looking forward to being on hold for 30 minutes this evening!!!!
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:46 pm

Don't get mine disconnected. :o
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:55 pm

Oh I won't......now Drew's on the other hand......
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:59 am

Did you ever get your NBATV situation figured out?
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 am

I actually did.......I went home that night and picked up the phone, and as I was on hold, I figured I'd check just to make sure....and sure enough, it was working.....just in time for All-Star weekend.....good times.
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:54 pm

It looks like they added Spike HD and FX HD today.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Previous

Return to Strange, But True