Offical Sopranos - The Ending

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Postby HornMafia on Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:54 am

Yeah, it wasn't Janice nor was it the sporting goods store owner. Plausible theory outside of that, but still, to me, it just comes down to this:

Who would still have the need to kill Tony?

Phil is dead. Butchie pretty much authorized that. Little Carmine is set to take over NY, why would he want Tony dead? Phil had to go because he authorized the death of a mob boss without the proper protocols.

So it would have to be way out there to be a member of the NY clan to kill Tony, and would David Chase really introduce someone in the final seconds of the series to kill one of the most powerful television characters of all-time?

Tony lived, but he's in a world of shit due to the indictment (a federal one, which almost always stick), and he has a very depleted crew leftover to deal with.

He might as well be dead.

Of course that's just my opinion.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby tamut98 on Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:04 am

The sporting goods store owner was played by Robert Patrick. If this guy is speaking metaphorically then that is cool. If not, then that guy was not Robert Patrick.

BTW...That was Marcellus Wallace's soul in the brief case.

:)
WuhPOW!
tamut98
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Markaholic on Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:25 am

It was all a dream tony was having. Just like the ending to Newhart.
Markaholic
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:33 am

I don't know if I buy into that whole scenario, but it did seem like Tony walked in and saw himself sitting at a table.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby Music City Mafia on Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:58 am

I still say Tony got whacked, but the focus of the ending wasn't the details/gore of it... the focus was on how this family - over the course of the series - remained tragically and hopelessly as f'd up as they were at the beginning (if not more so) and that kind of dysfunction and sociopathic behavior can't/doesn't have a happy ending. The gory details aren't important. Being left with the image of The Sopranos for what they are as opposed to bloody corpses helps viewers remember this story and what this family was about, instead of being left with a final impression of the series based on some action scene. After all, it's a drama series (with some action and humor), not an action series. I think the fade to black tied in with the previous dialogue of what happens when you get shot/whacked are relevant to Tony's fate as well.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:18 pm

Also, another argument against Tony getting whacked...

Why would the guy wait? Why not just go up to Tony and do the deed? Why sit around the restaurant, letting everyone in there get a good look at you? When have you ever seen a mob shooting where the guy waits for 10 minutes and then decides to shoot his target?
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Music City Mafia on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:22 pm

Interesting point. I've never seen a mob shooting period, other than Hollywood-generated, but perhaps the idea was to whack the entire family...? That might explain the painstaking job of parallel parking before the daughter enters and then we have the fade to black...? He/they was/were delayed by the daughter's deplorable parking skills, but once she walked in, immediate black.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:27 pm

:lol:

I saw plenty of mob shootings back in the old hood.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Music City Mafia on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:35 pm

:lol:

Well, my "old hood" was South Austin, so instead of mob shootings you had lowrider stabbings. Image
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby Markaholic on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:49 pm

When have you ever seen a mob shooting where the guy waits for 10 minutes and then decides to shoot his target?

Didn't the guy who whacked Jimmy Hoffa in the Jack Nicholson moving hang around the diner for a while and then walk out to the car?
Markaholic
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:02 pm

I dunno...never saw it.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:44 pm

Yeah, he did.

All interesting points. Love the debate. Still think he got clipped.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby McKinneyHorn on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:34 am

Finally saw the damn thing last night. And even though I knew what to expect, it was still worth it.

I took it as just another Sopranos, like every episode before; nothing out of the ordinary really. Supposedly Chase had mentioned that you look to the first episode to figure out what happens in the end...Maybe he has a panic attack when it blacks out? I know it's far reaching but I can't imagine he got clipped. I don't know that there was anything at that particular moment to give him a panic attack but as I remember the first episode I believe he was grilling and then had an attack and passed out. Stress from Fed indictment and recent events? I still like to think there will be a movie made, but so far Chase is saying no; however he is leaving open the possibility.

I predicted Phil going out, maybe something pugilistic, so does a car running over his head count? :lol:
M.T.H. Let 'Em Run
McKinneyHorn
Starter
Starter

Postby Markaholic on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:15 pm

That part was awesome and the little black kid throwing up when he saw it! Ha!
Markaholic
All American
All American

Postby BevoisaSoxFan on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:24 pm

I'm more pissed about not getting a good look at the boobies on AJ's girl... Where's the outrage?
BevoisaSoxFan
All American
All American

Postby BevoisaSoxFan on Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:12 pm

I also like this take on the ending:

http://www.theguyfromboston.com/playvid ... oprano.wmv
BevoisaSoxFan
All American
All American

Postby Mr. Peabody on Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:09 pm

I hope all you fans are happy with the finale!

I gave up on the show about 2 seasons ago.

I got tired of waiting 2-3 years between seasons.

f HBO.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:36 pm

More fodder for discussion...

One clue in particular, a flashback in the penultimate episode to a conversation between Tony and his brother-in-law about death, gained credence as an HBO spokesman called it a "legitimate" hint and confirmed that series creator David Chase had a definite ending in mind.

"While he won't say to me 100 percent what it all means, he says some people who've guessed have come closer than others," HBO spokesman Quentin Schaffer told Reuters after speaking to Chase.

"There are definitely things there that he intended for people to pick up on," Schaffer said.

"I think that is one of the most legitimate things to look at," Schaffer said when asked about theories that the Bobby Bacala flashback was meant to foreshadow Tony's death.

Moreover, he said the man in the "Members Only" jacket could be interpreted as a symbolic reference to membership in the mob. "Members Only" also was the title of the episode in which Tony's demented Uncle Junior shoots him in the gut.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:24 am

Looks like Paulie had good reason to hate that cat. link
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Re: Offical Sopranos - The Ending

Postby HornMafia on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:27 pm

An extremely lengthy write-up on the final episode/scene of The Sopranos, and I must say, the writer gives a pretty solid case that Tony died in the final episode.

As I stated earlier in this thread, however, I still just don't see who would have done it and made sense. The writer argues NY, or someone that Tony pissed off in the past, but either one would be weak to me.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Re: Offical Sopranos - The Ending

Postby 12ozLongneck on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:09 pm

Still need to go back and watch the last season even though I know how it ends. I think the last episode I watched was the one where Adriana got wacked.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Previous

Return to Strange, But True