Offical Sopranos - The Ending

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Offical Sopranos - The Ending

Postby McKinneyHorn on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:35 pm

Just got back from Cali late last night so I watched the last episode this morning. Wow...

So, I thought I'd start a new thread - The Ending.

I still need to digest what happend first before I make a prediction but I read somewhere that Chase mentions looking at the first episode to find out what happens in the end. Hmmm... :-k

Tell us, how do you think the final episode plays out?
M.T.H. Let 'Em Run
McKinneyHorn
Starter
Starter

Postby Markaholic on Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:43 pm

Tony escapes Phil, who is located and killed by the Soprano gang....

...then Tony is knocked off by his own son.
Markaholic
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:48 pm

NJ kills Phil...feds, fearing the backlash from a full-scale mob war, crack down and arrest Tony.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:14 pm

There are some good Sopranos discussion threads on HF... perhaps the only reason to read that site.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby McKinneyHorn on Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:25 am

Since the season finale is almost here, let me make a prediction with the thought of a Sopranos movie not happening. It seems from all of the articles I've read a movie isn't likely although it shouldn't be discounted completely. Obviously if Tony dies off then I wouldn't think a movie would be realistic. So...

I say Phil is taken out in some grisley manner...something pugilistic? Tony dies too, but not from what everyone thinks. His weight being a problem the last few years finally catches up to him and he has a massive heart attack, which will probably be at the end of the show.

Others to get whacked; Patsy Parisi, Doogie Howser's little buddy, and someone from Tony's family...I'll say AJ or fat-ass Janice. Paulie comes out relatively unscathed; however, he's arrested by the Feds and locked up. Little Carmine will take over the NY family along with whatever is left of NJ.

Can't wait until Sunday night and at the same time dreading it...No more Sopranos. Sucks... :(
M.T.H. Let 'Em Run
McKinneyHorn
Starter
Starter

Postby MBK271 on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:59 pm

Doogie Houser's little buddie is one of my favorite characters... haven't seen much of him this season at all. :(
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby Markaholic on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:47 pm

Doogie Houser's little buddie

I've been trying to place him for the last few seasons. A-HA!
Markaholic
All American
All American

Postby OKC Longhorn on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:50 pm

I'm really going to miss this show. Here's a pretty good list of the top 10 Sopranos moments.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19037471/
OKC Longhorn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:52 pm

I'm going to miss it too, but the 18 months between seasons kinda prepared us for not having it around.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby MBK271 on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:06 pm

Paulie betrays the family.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby Markaholic on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:21 pm

Paulie betrays the family.

I could see that, but afterwards Phil would HAVE to knock him off. Can't trust him.

Too obvious.
Markaholic
All American
All American

Postby MBK271 on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:47 pm

I don't think Phil makes it that long.

I think Paulie betrays the family but doesn't get 'em all and so he ends up on the run or taking a bullet along with Phil.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:06 pm

That top 10 list is pretty good.

I loved the russian in the snow episode and had forgot that they never did find that guy.

Pretty jacked up about the finale, but I will have to DVR because I will be at the RRB show.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby HornMafia on Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:08 pm

:-k
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby tamut98 on Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:47 pm

Exactly!
WuhPOW!
tamut98
All Conference
All Conference

Postby HornMafia on Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:29 pm

That final scene was very tense. If nothing else Chase put us into the mindset of Tony Soprano possibly better than he ever did before, as you weren't sure if this was the end or not. He had to deal with his family during the middle of wondering if the next person that came in the door was going to kill him or not, which sums up the entirety of the series in a couple of minutes.

Well done.

Of course there is also the theory that the screen went black because he was killed at that moment...

But I don't think that's the case. He made nice with the NY underlings, they gave "permission" to kill Phil, it was done.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby eochs on Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:17 am

Great write up on the episode:

http://blog.nj.com/alltv/2007/06/sopran ... meric.html

My favorite theory I've read so far is in this article:

the nine episodes of this season have represented the nine circles of Hell from Dante's "The Divine Comedy." The fourth circle, for instance, is for the greedy and the miserly; the fourth episode was Tony and Hesh's gambling showdown. The seventh circle is where the suicides go; A.J. took his dip in the family pool in episode seven. The ninth circle is for the traitors, and Butchie implicitly betrayed Phil. (For added fun, reader Joe Adler pointed out the similarities between the Eugene Delacroix painting "The Barque of Dante" and the Annie Leibovitz promotional image on the season five DVD set. Google them both if you want your mind blown.)
"Tony Romo is going to take us to Miami." - UTWiz
eochs
Admin/2-time LMFZ WSoP Champ

Postby Blondie on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:05 am

Just as an FYI, the man walking in behind the black guys was Phil's nephew. FWIW.
Blondie
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby HornMafia on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:36 am

Blondie wrote:Just as an FYI, the man walking in behind the black guys was Phil's nephew. FWIW.

:-k

You see the door open behind the black guys but never see who it was that entered...
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby HornMafia on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:51 am

I suppose you're referring to this:

The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.

It's not true. On the ending credits, the role is credited to Paolo Colandrea - Man in Member's Only Jacket.

Story about how Colandrea got the role.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Blondie on Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:27 am

Ahh. My bad.
Blondie
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby Blondie on Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:28 am

And in my version of "what happened next," They all had dinner and went home and just lived life as usual and they all lived happily ever after. ;) That's the kind of gal I am.
Blondie
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby Music City Mafia on Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:56 am

HornMafia wrote:That final scene was very tense. If nothing else Chase put us into the mindset of Tony Soprano possibly better than he ever did before, as you weren't sure if this was the end or not. He had to deal with his family during the middle of wondering if the next person that came in the door was going to kill him or not, which sums up the entirety of the series in a couple of minutes.

Well done.

Of course there is also the theory that the screen went black because he was killed at that moment...

But I don't think that's the case. He made nice with the NY underlings, they gave "permission" to kill Phil, it was done.

I think it did signal the end, but Chase doesn't want that to be the lasting impression/visual of this series. The songs on the jukebox, AJ's quoting Tony of "Remember the Good Times" along with the looming legal issues... to me (and admittedly I've only follwed the series sporadically over the years) they all pointed to the reality that someone like Tony Soprano is bound to get his in the end. The writer just doesn't want us to be left with only that impression (how he gets it) bnut rather the memory of this family and the path that got them to that point.

By the way, I enjoyed the scenes with the cat more than anything in the finale. F'n hillarious. It ws like Ceiling Cat making a film debut.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:28 pm

I had heard the thing about that being Phils cousin, but it was descredited.

I also heard that one of the two black guys in the dinner was one of the two who had shot Tony before. Haven't seen that one descredited yet, but I don't see why they would do that.

I serisously though somebody had sat on the remote or that the satelite had gone out when it ended.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby eochs on Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:47 am

Somebody sent me this... I need to watch again to see how true or bullshit this is:

when tony walks into the diner he looks at himself sitting down at the table...u can be sure of this b/c he is wearing different clothes when he sits down...i dont no wtf that means...in previous seasons it had been told to us that tony's dad died just as his daughter (janus) walked in...if u wach closely u will see janus walk in shortly after tony sits down...this is used to signify the possibility of that happening again...then u will c the sports store owner who tony destroyed walk in wearing a brown kinda hunting jacket...he is the guy that a couple seasons ago got into gambling trouble with tony and tony took over his store...HE IS THE 1 WHO WACKS TONY...he comes in and sits down hunched over...hiding his eyes as not wanting to be noticed...and alas..."u probly dont even here it when it happens rite?" (this is bobby talking to tony in the 1st episode of the season...tony had! this flashback as he was laying down in the last episode...there would be no reason to have had that in unless it had some huge significance)...and finally...tonys daughter walking in to c her dad get shot just as janice did so many years ago...u hear the bell of her walking in and then blackness...nuthing...it signifies the neverending cycle of the soprano family...aj will become tony...meadow will become janice...carmela will become livia (tonys mom)...and cycle of violence goes on and on and on....absolutlely amazing...i HATED the ending at first...but when i wached it again...and understood it...it is really the most amazing ending possible for the show...we really would not have been satisfied with the boring u c tony get shot ending...this was priceless...remember..this was not an action show...it was a drama about a FAMILY....
"Tony Romo is going to take us to Miami." - UTWiz
eochs

Next

Return to Strange, But True